Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting
Marshmallow is derived from the plant Mallow, a native plant to Asia and Europe and from the fact it grows in marshes. It was first discovered by ancient Egyptians who squeezed sap from the mallow plant and mixed it with nuts and honey. In the early 1800’s, French confectioners introduced the marshmallow by whipping sap from the mallow root into a fluffy candy mold. This time-consuming process was typically done by hand.
The marshmallow was introduced in America after a new manufacturing process was developed. Today, more than 90 million pounds of marshmallows are consumed annually.
RECIPE: Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 2 dozen
- Difficulty Level: Intermediate
Remember that first sip of hot cocoa topped with marshmallows when you bite into one of these delicious cupcakes.
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup cold strong coffee
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa*
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup buttermilk **
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*Don’t use Dutch Processed cocoa
** Buttermilk: 1/2 cup milk + 1/2 teaspoon vinegar, allow it to sit 5-7 minutes
2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
14 ounces Marshmallow topping
2 cups powdered sugar1 tablespoon heavy cream1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional: Cocoa Nibs, miniature marshmallows, chocolate sauce for drizzling
2) Preheat the oven to 350* and line 24 cupcake tins with paper liners, lightly spray, set aside..
3) In a small saucepan, melt the butter, vegetable oil, and coffee. Set aside to cool a bit.
4) Sift together flour, cocoa, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
5) Slowly add the cooled coffee mixture to dry ingredients, stir until combined.
6) Add in the eggs, whisk to combine, mix in the buttermilk, applesauce and vanilla.
7) Pour into prepared cupcake time to 3/4 full.
8) Bake 20-22 minutes or until center springs back after touchy lightly or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
9) Remove from oven, transfer to wire cooling racks and allow cupcakes to completely cool before frosting.
11) In large bowl beat softened butter for 2 minutes until creamy.
12) Slowly add powdered sugar in four parts, creaming together until creamy and fluffy..
13) Add marshmallow cream and vanilla, mix until combined, add heavy cream.
14) Frost cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with Cocoa nibs, marshmallows or just a drizzle of chocolate!
Acknowledgement: Home Baking Association
Cottage Core Home would like to thank and acknowledge The Home Baking Association (HBA) for being a valuable resource who supports home baking