It is amazing that one food can be so beneficial as to put it in the super-food category, but walnuts are a standout. They are Rich in antioxidants, High in Omega 3, Decrease inflammation, Promote healthy gut bacteria, Stave off some types of cancer, Promote weight control, Help manage diabetes, Lower blood pressure, Increase brain function and Support easeful ageing.
RECIPE: Butter Tart Walnut Squares
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Yield: 15 Squares
- Difficulty Level: Difficult
A buttery shortbread crust and walnut filling make these squares a real treat..
1 cup butter, room temperature
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup corn syrup (dark is best but either will work)
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 cup chopped walnuts
*1/2 cup raisins or currants
1) Crust layer:
2) Pre-heat oven 350*, line 9″x13″ baking pan with parchment paper allowing some to hang over edges to easily remove from pan.
3) In a large bowl of stand-up mixer, cream the butter and powdered sugar until fluffy.
4) Add flour and mix until well incorporated, this crust will be very thick.
5) Press evenly across the bottom of prepared baking pan.
6) Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the top is set and is a light, golden color.
7) Remove from oven and allow to cool while preparing filling.
8) In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer beat the butter, brown sugar and flour until well combined.
9) Mix in vanilla and eggs.
10) Add vinegar and corn syrup, mix until well incorporated.
11) Fold in walnuts and *raisins /currants if using.
12) Pour filling over prepared crust layer.
13) Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes, until filling is set, the filling should jiggle a bit but should be set and not runny.
14) Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.*
15) Store bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days after slicing.
16) *We suggest allowing them to cool 4-5 hours to ensure you get a clean cut.
Acknowledgement: Home Baking Association
Cottage Core Home would like to thank and acknowledge The Home Baking Association (HBA) for being a valuable resource who supports home baking